How Live Moss Can Make a Garden Statement
Landscaping with moss can liven up any garden or landscaping. Many people use moss as an alternative to grass for its low maintenance and beauty. Live moss is small, and the soft plant is typically about 1-10cm (.4-4 inches) tall and commonly grows close together in clumps in damp or shady locations (medium dense. However, the Lawsonia is the tallest moss in the world (about 50cm tall).
The Tennessee Tree Nursery sells many different types of moss. Here are some examples and some information on them:
Hypnum moss (sheet moss):
- typically found in all continents except Antarctica
- small to medium in size (2-10cm long)
- it looks like a Cyprus tree
- grows on tree trunks, logs, walls, and rocks
- commonly called peat moss
- wet habitats (grow more in wet areas)
- living and dead plants can hold large quantities of water
- under the right conditions, it can grow many meters
- the practice of training live perennial plants by clipping them into various shapes and angles.
- also known as living sculptures
- sometimes, wired cages are used to help guide the shears used by the artist
- generally, evergreens are used because they are small, woody plants that produce dense foliage and have fast-growth habits
- Many the tourist attractions like Disney World and Epcot Center have topiary plants on display to help attract people to their parks.
Partridge Berry (Mitchella Repens)
- Repens: creeping
- evergreen plant
* it's a non-climbing vine that is no taller than 6 cm with stems that are 15-30 cm long
- evergreens' dark, shiny green leaves are easy to shape
- leaves easily spread
There are many other types of moss to choose from. You can check out the Tennessee Tree Nursery's website, or better yet, stop in and check out the different types of moss.
Landscaping with moss has been gaining popularity over the last few years due to economic problems and water scarcity. Many people prefer to encourage moss growth rather than eliminate them by using harmful chemicals. Live moss has many perks.
* grows fast and prevents erosion (wearing away of the earth's surface by water, ice, and wind)
* virtually no maintenance (no need to worry about when you need to mow your lawn!)
* grows thick and lush (once it's been established)
* repels weeds
* doesn't need fertilizer or much water, thus substantially saving money on water and the need for harmful chemicals.
* no pests or little to no diseases
Grow moss in shady areas; there are four factors to do so effectively:
* must have enough moisture in the area (keep the area moist at all times for the first few weeks after transplanting)
* enough shade (medium to dense shading is preferred)
* humidity (difficult to control...misting kits will help check out the website about the kits or visit the store and ask a sales associate)
* soil type/PH balance (prefer to grow on firmly packed acidic soils with PH balances between 5.0 and 5.5)
The Tennessee Tree Nursery has a wide selection of reasonably priced live moss for your gardening and landscaping needs. Shipping is affordable, and they will deliver it to your house in 2-5 days. They can deliver it year-round so that you can shop and order anytime. Visit the website or stop in to see the selection of moss and other beautiful plants for your gardening or landscaping needs! Landscaping with moss has never been more accessible or more beautiful! You will love the results!