100% Guarantee

1 Year On All Plants

Buy With Trust

64 Years, 3 Generations

Lowest Prices

Grower Direct For All

chevron_left chevron_right

Poisonous plants in your area?

When gardening or living in wooded areas, it is essential to be familiar with poisonous plants around your area.

Be sure to research what types of plants are poisonous in your area.

When gardening or hiking, you may come across common plants that look or are thought harmless, but if consumed in any way, could cause illness and sometimes death.

Plants use poisons as a natural way of defending themselves against predators. Poisonous plants could be right under your nose.

Those with horses or any farmland should watch what type of plants livestock may consume. Since horses and cattle consume plants around them, drinking large doses of poisonous leaves or flowers can cause fatalities and kill off entire livestock. It would be not only a travesty in the loss of animal life but also a loss financially. In 1907, over 700 livestock died overnight from consuming poisonous plants in Australia.

The leaves of apricots and avocados are poisonous, and in the case of apricots, if any of the leaves and twigs are consumed, it could prove fatal to any human. Azalea flowers and nectar can also be deadly for both humans and animals if consumed. If growing any tree or plant, research whether any leaves or stems are poisonous. If it proves toxic, it is nothing to be panicked about since large amounts of poisonous plants would have to be consumed to leave any toxicity in the bloodstream. However, it is essential to know about any poisonous plants in your area if you have pets or children who like to eat things off the ground.

Knowing which poisonous plants are essential to avoid consuming domestic animals and children. Never leave mistletoe where children or domestic animals can get them. Mistletoe is a signature holiday plant, but the berries can cause sickness if consumed. If a human consumes them, the illness will follow in stomach pain, slower pulse, and bowel problems. An adult would have to consume a significant amount of these berries to feel sick, but children and pets should avoid eating a single berry at all costs. If a pet or child has consumed any poisonous plant, then escort them quickly to a veterinarian or emergency room.

Source of Information on Poisonous Plants to Avoid