ShipFall (End Of October) Spring 2024
Over 25 Feet
Sourwood Tree: Oxydendrum arboreum, or the sourwood tree, is a deciduous native to the southeastern hardwood forests of the United States.
The sourwood tree is a smaller species, reaching a maximum height of twenty to thirty feet. TN Nursery recommends the sourwood tree to customers who wish for a tree that will look great without overshadowing the entire yard.
You might also hear gardeners refer to Oxydendrum arboreum by these alternative common names:
- Sorrel tree
- Lily of the valley tree
How to use the sourwood tree in your landscape.
TN Nursery customers put the sourwood tree to work in these types of spaces:
- Pollinator garden or butterfly garden: Sourwood tree attracts bees, butterflies, moths, and other insects that spread pollen.
- Urban garden or park: Sourwood trees can add lovely color in urban or suburban applications without becoming overly large in small spots.
- Native species garden: This tree is a beautiful specimen if you want to show off North American plants.
- Landscape tree: Add color to an otherwise empty yard with the beautiful sourwood tree.
- Beekeeping: Beekeepers often express interest in this tree, as the bees use the sourwood tree's nectar to produce rich honey.
Sourwood Tree Might be a Small Tree, But It Has a Big, Beautiful Presence
The sourwood tree trunk is slender, approximately eight to twelve inches in diameter, which is well-proportioned when considering the shorter height. The bark is dark gray with attractive light scaling.
Sourwood tree leaves are dark green, slightly glossy, and shaped like an elongated oval. The leaf has a slightly toothy edge. In the autumn, they generally turn crimson, burgundy, or purple. The essential oils of the leaves are sour tasting, lending the tree its common name.
Sourwood tree flowers are a creamy white color and bell-shaped. They are similar to lily of the valley flowers, providing an alternate common name. The flowers droop from the stem and have a pleasant, sweet fragrance. They bloom during mid-summer.
Order Your Sourwood Tree From TN Nursery Today
The sourwood tree is lovely and will only overshadow a little space. It's perfect for a small yard or as a tree to create a small shade garden. Order yours from TN Nursery today.
Not the easiest tree to grow, but the rewards outweigh the negatives. The negatives are finicky soil requirements and deer. Deer gravitate to Oxydendron as they do with lilies here in Pennsylvania.
The pluses? Lovely foliage, beautiful Lily of the Valley like blossoms and spectacular fall color. Great as a specimen plant, but, if you have average, consider group plantings.
Thank you for much better trees than previous orders…. Taller, Thicker Stems and sturdy….
good quality packaged well
Bare-root arrived in good condition, as expected. Thank you.
The plants arrived quickly, well packaged and healthy.