Ship10-12 business days July
Sun Or Shade
European Ginger (Asarum arifolium)
European Ginger Plant (Asarum europaeum), a beautiful addition to your garden that exudes elegance and charm. Known for its lush, glossy foliage and delightful blooms, this perennial herbaceous plant is a true treasure for plant enthusiasts and garden lovers alike.
The European Ginger Plant is native to the woodlands of Europe and thrives in shaded areas
1. Striking Foliage: The European Ginger Plant boasts large, heart-shaped leaves with a glossy, dark green color that remains vibrant throughout the growing season. These 4 to 6 inches diameter leaves create a lush carpet-like ground cover, adding texture and visual interest to any garden bed or shady corner.
2. Alluring Blooms: The European Ginger Plant surprises with its beautiful and inconspicuous flowers in early spring. While individually small, they create a mesmerizing effect when observed up close.
3. Shade Tolerance: One of the European Ginger Plant's remarkable attributes is its exceptional shade tolerance. Its ability to flourish in low-light conditions makes it an ideal solution for those seeking plant options for less sunlit spaces.
The European Ginger is a Low Maintenance Plant
4. Low Maintenance: The European Ginger Plant is cherished for its low-maintenance nature, making it a hassle-free addition to your garden. Once established, it requires minimal care, making it suitable for busy gardeners or those new to plant care. Its resilient nature allows it to adapt well to various soil conditions and requires little watering once it has settled in.
5. Ground Cover Beauty: With its spreading habit, the European Ginger Plant forms a dense ground cover that suppresses weeds and creates a carpet-like effect. Its vigorous growth helps to control erosion and add stability to the soil. Whether you want to fill a shaded area or create a cohesive ground cover, this plant offers a natural and visually appealing solution.
6. Wildlife Friendly: The European Ginger Plant attracts pollinators such as bees and butterflies, adding life and movement to your garden. It also serves as a habitat for small creatures like insects, providing a sustainable and balanced ecosystem. By planting the European Ginger Plant, you're enhancing the beauty of your garden and contributing to the preservation of local biodiversity.
7. Versatile Landscaping: The European Ginger Plant can be used in various landscaping applications due to its adaptability. It thrives as a ground cover in shaded areas, but it also makes an excellent addition to borders, woodland gardens, or as an underplanting for more giant trees or shrubs. Its ability to withstand foot traffic makes it suitable for planting where occasional stepping may occur.
8. Winter Interest: Even when many other plants go dormant in the winter, the European Ginger Plant provides visual interest. Its evergreen foliage remains vibrant as a backdrop for other winter blooms or a lush green oasis in an otherwise barren landscape. Its resilience to colder temperatures ensures a touch of beauty year-round.
9. Medicinal Uses: Beyond its ornamental appeal, the European Ginger Plant has a rich history of medicinal uses. Traditionally, the plant's rhizomes were used in herbal remedies for various ailments, including digestive disorders, respiratory conditions, and joint pain.
10 Benefits of the European Ginger Plant
The European Ginger Plant (Asarum europaeum) is a beautiful herbaceous perennial that not only adds beauty to your garden but also offers a range of benefits. This plant is valuable to any landscape, from its medicinal properties to environmental contributions. Here are ten benefits of the European Ginger Plant:
1. Medicinal Uses: The European Ginger Plant has a long history of medicinal use. Its rhizomes contain compounds traditionally used to aid digestion, alleviate respiratory issues, and relieve joint pain. The plant has anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties, making it a valuable ingredient in natural remedies and herbal preparations.
2. Soothing Properties: The European Ginger Plant has soothing properties to help calm the digestive system. Consuming ginger tea or incorporating ginger into your diet can relieve and promote a healthy digestive system.
3. Natural Anti-inflammatory: The European Ginger Plant contains natural compounds that have anti-inflammatory effects. These properties make it beneficial for reducing inflammation in the body, such as joint inflammation caused by conditions like arthritis. Topically consuming ginger or applying ginger-infused products may help alleviate inflammation and associated discomfort.
4. Digestive Aid: Ginger has been recognized for improving digestion. It enhances the breakdown of food and the absorption of nutrients. Incorporating ginger into your meals or consuming ginger tea can support healthy digestion and prevent digestive issues like bloating and gas.
5. Antioxidant Power: Antioxidants are essential for preserving general health and lowering the risk of chronic diseases. Your intake of antioxidants can be increased by including ginger in your diet. Including ginger in your diet can boost your antioxidant intake.
6. Immune System Support: Ginger is known for its immune-boosting properties. It contains antioxidants and bioactive compounds.
7. Pain Relief: The European Ginger Plant has analgesic properties that can help alleviate pain. Applying ginger-infused oils or consuming ginger tea may relieve mild to moderate pain.
8. Culinary Delight: Besides its medicinal benefits, the European Ginger Plant is also a versatile culinary ingredient. Ginger adds a unique and flavorful touch to various dishes, including stir-fries, curries, and desserts. Its warm, spicy, and slightly sweet flavor can elevate the taste of your meals while providing potential health benefits.
9. Erosion Control: The European Ginger Plant's spreading habit and dense foliage make it an excellent choice for erosion control. Planting as a ground cover helps stabilize soil on slopes and prevents erosion caused by heavy rainfall or foot traffic. Its vigorous growth and ability to withstand adverse conditions make it an effective natural erosion control solution.
10. Environmental Contribution: The European Ginger Plant is a valuable addition to any garden for its environmental contributions. As a ground cover, it helps suppress weeds and reduces the need for chemical herbicides. Its dense foliage provides a habitat for beneficial insects and creates a microclimate that promotes biodiversity in the garden.
10 Tips to Maintain European Ginger Plants
The European Ginger Plant (Asarum europaeum) is a stunning and versatile perennial that can thrive in various garden settings. Follow these ten crucial guidelines for taking care of and maintaining your European ginger plant to ensure its health and vitality:
1. Optimal Growing Conditions: European Ginger Plants thrive in partially shaded areas with well-draining soil. Choose a location that receives dappled sunlight or filtered shade throughout the day. Additionally, ensure the ground is well-draining to prevent waterlogging, which can lead to root rot.
2. Adequate Watering: European Ginger Plants prefer consistent moisture but should not be overwatered. Avoid letting the soil dry thoroughly between watering, which can stress the plant. If it feels dry, it's time to water.
3. Mulching: Apply a layer of organic mulch around the base of the European Ginger Plant. Use materials such as shredded bark, compost, or dried leaves. Ensure the mulch is spread evenly, leaving a small space around the plant's stem to prevent rot.
4. Pruning: European Ginger Plants generally require minimal pruning. However, remove any yellowed or damaged leaves throughout the growing season to maintain their attractive appearance and encourage healthy growth. Trim any excessive growth or unwanted runners to keep the plant tidy and prevent overcrowding.
5. Fertilization: European Ginger Plants are not heavy feeders, but a light application of organic fertilizer can promote their growth and vigor. Follow the manufacturer's instructions for the appropriate dosage and evenly distribute the fertilizer around the plant's root zone.
6. Weed Control: Regularly inspect the area around your European Ginger Plant and remove any weeds that may emerge. Weeds compete with the plant for nutrients, water, and space, hindering its growth. Hand-pull weeds or use a small gardening tool to remove them carefully without disturbing the ginger plant's roots.
7. Winter Protection: European Ginger Plants are generally hardy, but in colder climates, they may benefit from winter protection.
8. Pest and Disease Management: European Ginger Plants resist pests and diseases. However, they may occasionally face aphids, slugs, or snails. Monitor your plants regularly and take appropriate action at the first sign of infestation. To minimize damage, use organic pest control methods, such as neem oil or handpicking pests.
9. Division and Propagation: European Ginger Plants can be propagated through division, which is beneficial for their health and to create new plants. Carefully lift the plant from the ground and separate the rhizomes every three to four years, ensuring each division has several healthy shoots and roots. Replant the divisions in suitable locations, following the same care guidelines as mature plants.
10. Regular Inspections: To maintain the health of your European Ginger Plant, conduct regular inspections for any signs of stress, disease, or pest infestation. Look for yellowing leaves, wilting, or discoloration. Promptly address any issues you identify to prevent further damage and ensure the long-term well-being of the plant.
European Ginger: Asarum arifolium, previously Hexastylis arifolia, is the standard European ginger. Despite its reference to Europe, this evergreen species is a native North American perennial that originated in the humid forests of the southeast.
Besides European Ginger, here are a few additional common names for this adorable evergreen plant:
- Arrowhead Wild Ginger
- Heartleaf Ginger
- Heartleaf Wild Ginger
- Little Brown Jugs
- Green Valentine
TN Nursery recommends this plant in the mid-south and midwest's moderate planting zones.
European Ginger Is an Excellent Shade Garden Ground Cover
Finding the best plants for a shade garden can be challenging--European Ginger is one pretty perennial that flourishes in the deepest shade.
It loves moist soil that drains well. It is happiest when it beds down in plenty of organic material. When you plant European ginger, add a generous scoop of mulch, grass clippings, peat moss, or shredded leaves. It loves these materials.
The Lovely Green Foliage Makes European Ginger a Popular Choice. European Ginger is a favorite of TN Nursery customers who need to add profuse greenery to a shady spot.
The foliage is impressive. Each leaf can measure as much as six inches long and wide. Some gardeners describe the shape of the leaf as a blunt, rounded arrowhead. But others explain that it makes an abstract heart shape. The leaves have veins that create a crackled or leathery appearance.
The plant produces tiny, light burgundy to brown, jug-shaped flowers with a soft, peach fuzz texture. However, these are fairy blossoms--so small that the many leaves tend to conceal them.
During the middle to end of summer, European Ginger will produce tiny berries. They are inedible to humans, but your backyard birds will enjoy harvesting them.
Order Your European Ginger From TN Nursery Today
TN Nursery suggests European Ginger for the deepest, shadiest yards where few perennials grow. This evergreen will add the color you desire--place your order today.
I have not received my order yet so I can't review it. But I could review your customer service!
I am not accustomed working with this bare root plant. I will have to see how it does. My concern is that when they arrived, they had sprouted in the mail, and then sprouts had then mostly withered. Bad luck I guess. I planted them right away and watered them. I guess I’ll see how it does.
I received my order from you in only four days-record time. All of the plants were in excellent shape, and looked to have been dug up minutes before they were shipped. I am really happy to have found your company! I took a chance, now I have my new source. I will definitely be a repeat customer. Thank you for a job well done.
We really appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review, Kelley. These are the stories that keep us so motivated to continue doing what we are doing, and we are so happy to hear that you had a great experience. Let us know if we can do anything else for you.
Received a beautiful and healthy plant. Packaged and delivered with care..