Coral Red Dogwood
Coral Red Dogwood
Under 10 Feet
Coral Red Dogwood (Cornus sericea)
Introducing the Captivating Coral Red Dogwood Plant: A Vibrant Jewel in Your Garden
Transform your garden into a breathtaking display of color and elegance with the Coral Red Dogwood Plant (Cornus sericea). This stunning deciduous shrub boasts vibrant red stems that add a splash of boldness to any landscape. With its captivating beauty, versatility, and hardiness, the Coral Red Dogwood Plant is a gem that will elevate your outdoor sanctuary to new heights.
Coral Red Dogwood Is An Exquisite Beauty in Every Season:
The Coral Red Dogwood Plant is a true showstopper throughout the year. In spring, clusters of delicate white flowers emerge. As the seasons progress, the Coral Red Dogwood Plant unveils glossy green leaves that provide a lush and vibrant display. But the real magic happens in winter when the leaves drop, revealing the true star of the show—its stunning coral-red branches.
These vigorous stems stand out against the stark winter landscape, adding a pop of color and creating a visual spectacle that is nothing short of extraordinary.
Coral Red Dogwood has a Versatile Garden Accent:
The Coral Red Dogwood Plant is a versatile addition to any garden. Its bold red stems create a stunning focal point, whether planted as a standalone specimen, in mixed borders, or as a colorful hedge. It can also create a vibrant winter garden or add interest to water features and naturalized areas.
With its adaptability to various soil types and growing conditions, the Coral Red Dogwood Plant offers endless possibilities for enhancing the beauty of your outdoor space.
Wildlife Haven: Embrace the beauty of nature and invite a flurry of wildlife into your garden with the Coral Red Dogwood Plant. The vibrant red stems serve as a beacon for birds, attracting them to your garden throughout the year. The plant provides valuable shelter, nesting sites, and protection for various bird species. In addition, the flowers offer nectar for pollinators, such as bees and butterflies, enhancing the ecological balance of your garden. By welcoming the Coral Red Dogwood Plant, you create a haven for wildlife and contribute to the biodiversity of your surroundings.
Four-Season Interest: The Coral Red Dogwood Plant is a true treasure, offering year-round interest in your garden. From the delicate flowers of spring to the lush green foliage of summer, followed by the striking red stems of winter, this plant ensures that your garden remains captivating throughout the seasons. Even in fall, the leaves undergo a stunning transformation, turning shades of red and purple, adding another dimension of beauty to the landscape. With the Coral Red Dogwood Plant, your garden will be a source of admiration and enjoyment all year.
Easy Care and Low Maintenance: The Coral Red Dogwood Plant is known for its easy care. Once established, it is drought-tolerant, requiring minimal supplemental watering. The plant is also relatively pest and disease resistant, allowing you to enjoy its beauty without constant monitoring or intervention.
Erosion Control and Soil Stabilization: The Coral Red Dogwood Plant's extensive root system stabilizes erosion and soil. Its dense network of roots helps bind the ground, preventing erosion on slopes and embankments. Incorporating this plant into your garden, you contribute to preserving soil integrity, minimizing runoff risk, and promoting a healthier and more sustainable environment.
The Coral Red Dogwood Plant (Cornus sericea) is a stunning addition to any garden, offering visual appeal and a range of benefits that make it a valuable asset. Let's explore the benefits of incorporating the Coral Red Dogwood Plant into your outdoor space:
Striking Visual Impact: The most apparent benefit of the Coral Red Dogwood Plant is its unique visual impact. The vibrant red stems provide a burst of color, particularly during winter when other plants may be dormant. Whether planted as a standalone specimen or in groupings, this plant adds a bold and captivating element to your landscape, instantly elevating its aesthetic appeal.
Four-Season Interest: The Coral Red Dogwood Plant offers year-round interest, ensuring your garden remains vibrant and engaging every season. In spring, clusters of delicate white flowers bloom, creating a lovely contrast against the red stems. During summer, glossy green leaves provide a lush backdrop. As fall arrives, the foliage turns shades of red and purple, adding yet another layer of beauty. Finally, the stunning red stems become the focal point in winter, creating a breathtaking display against the snowy backdrop.
Wildlife Attraction: By incorporating the Coral Red Dogwood Plant into your garden, you invite a variety of wildlife to your outdoor sanctuary. The red stems are a natural attraction for birds, providing a valuable food source in the form of berries during the colder months. The plant's dense growth habit also offers bird shelter and nesting sites, contributing to your garden's vibrant and dynamic ecosystem.
Erosion Control: The Coral Red Dogwood Plant stabilizes erosion and soil. Its extensive root system helps bind the ground, preventing erosion on slopes and embankments. The dense growth habit and thick foliage provide an effective barrier against water runoff, reducing the risk of soil erosion and helping to maintain the integrity of your garden landscape.
Low Maintenance: One of the significant advantages of the Coral Red Dogwood Plant is its low maintenance requirements. Once established, it is a relatively self-sufficient plant that requires minimal intervention. It adapts to various soil conditions and can tolerate wet and dry areas. The plant is also relatively pest and disease resistant, allowing you to enjoy its beauty without needing constant monitoring or extensive care.
Native Plant Benefits: The Coral Red Dogwood Plant is native to North America, making it an excellent choice for ecological and environmental reasons. Native plants are generally well-adapted to local conditions, making them more resilient and sustainable in the long term.
Medicinal and Herbal Uses: Native American tribes used various parts of the plant to treat ailments, including fevers, colds, and respiratory conditions. The bark was often brewed into tea or used topically for its anti-inflammatory properties. While it's essential to consult with a healthcare professional before using plants for medicinal purposes, the Coral Red Dogwood Plant holds a legacy of potential health benefits.
Privacy and Windbreak: With its dense growth habit and multi-stemmed structure, the Coral Red Dogwood Plant can create privacy screens and natural windbreaks in your garden. Whether you want to create a secluded area for relaxation or protect delicate plants from strong winds, this plant is an effective barrier, shielding your garden from prying eyes and harsh weather conditions.
Maintaining the health and beauty of your Coral Red Dogwood Plant (Cornus sericea) is essential to ensure its longevity and maximize its impact in your garden. Here are valuable tips to help you effectively care for and maintain your Coral Red Dogwood
1. Optimal Planting Location: Choose a suitable location for your Coral Red Dogwood Plant that offers full sun to partial shade. While the plant can tolerate various soil conditions, it thrives in moist, well-draining soil. Avoid planting in areas prone to waterlogging, as excessive moisture can lead to root rot. Consider the plant's mature size and ensure adequate spacing for proper growth and airflow.
2. Watering: Proper watering is crucial during the establishment phase of your Coral Red Dogwood Plant. Water regularly, especially during dry spells, to moisten the soil. Once established, the plant is moderately drought-tolerant but benefits from regular watering during prolonged periods of drought. Water deeply, allowing the water to penetrate the root zone, and avoid shallow, frequent watering that may promote external root growth.
3. Mulching: Apply a layer of organic mulch around the base of your Coral Red Dogwood Plant to conserve moisture, regulate soil temperature, and suppress weed growth. Maintain a mulch layer of around 2-3 inches, ensuring it does not touch the stem to prevent potential rotting issues. Organic mulches such as shredded bark or composted leaves work well and add nutrients to the soil over time.
4. Pruning and Shaping: Pruning helps maintain the shape and overall health of your Coral Red Dogwood Plant. Remove any dead, damaged, or crossing branches to encourage better airflow and reduce the risk of diseases. If desired, you can selectively prune to enhance the plant's shape and density. Avoid excessive pruning, as this can limit flower and fruit production.
5. Fertilization: The Coral Red Dogwood Plant generally does not require heavy fertilization. However, a light application of a balanced slow-release fertilizer in early spring can provide a nutrient boost for healthy growth and vibrant foliage. Follow the manufacturer's instructions for the appropriate application rate and method.
6. Winter Protection: While the Coral Red Dogwood Plant is hardy, providing some winter protection can help safeguard it during severe weather conditions. Consider wrapping the plant in burlap or using a protective cover if you live in an area with harsh winters. This additional protection can prevent frost damage and promote healthy regrowth in spring.
7. Pest and Disease Control: The Coral Red Dogwood Plant is relatively resistant to pests and diseases. However, occasional pest issues such as aphids or scale insects may occur. Monitor your plant regularly for signs of infestation or disease, such as deformed leaves or sticky residue. Following the manufacturer's instructions, treat the affected areas with insecticidal soap or horticultural oil. Proper sanitation and good airflow around the plant can also help prevent disease development.
8. Regular Inspections: Inspect your Coral Red Dogwood Plant for signs of stress, disease, or pest infestation. Look for discolored or distorted leaves, wilting, or abnormal growth patterns. Early detection allows for prompt treatment and helps prevent the spread of problems to other plants. Additionally, inspect the stems for any signs of damage or dieback and promptly prune affected branches to promote healthy growth.
Coral Red Dogwood: TN Nursery customers can’t get enough of Cornus sericea or coral red dogwood trees. The North American native species is a deciduous ornamental tree that flourished from Canada to the mid-south and midwestern states.
Why do they love it? For its lovely display of white flowers in the late springtime or early summer.
Most gardeners adore coral red dogwood trees for more than just their prolific white flowers; they also enjoy the year-round color! The coral red dogwood’s attractive coral-colored stems enhance the lovely white blossoms. Those stems are bronze- to red during spring and summer and turn to an intense coral hue that provides wintertime color after the leaves fall.
Gardeners also enjoy the easy-to-care-for properties of the coral red dogwood. It is cold-tolerant, pest-resistant, and drought-tolerant. Once it matures, it will require almost no additional attention except during an extended drought. They flourish in the cool to moderately warm USDA growing zones.
Other Names for Cornus sericea
Cornus sericea has several common names, all referring to the same species:
- American Dogwood
- Creek Dogwood
- Red Osier Dogwood
- Redstem Dogwood
- Red Twig Dogwood
- Redtwig Dogwood
- Red Willow
- Tatarian Dogwood
- Western Dogwood
Coral Red Dogwood So Easy to Grow
Once your coral red dogwood trees establish strong roots, they will give you a stunning display of enormous white flowers in the late springtime or early summer and an attractive green crown during the summer. When the short days of fall arrive, the leaves turn orange, bronze, red, or russet.
Before you plant your coral dogwood trees, find a full-sunshine spot with well-draining soil. They love moisture, but they do not tolerate wet roots. De-compact the ground and scoop in a generous amount of organic woody materials. Mulch, peat moss, or leaf litter all work well.
After the coral red dogwood achieves maturity, you will only need to fertilize it twice yearly, prune it as needed, and mulch around the base to insulate it in the late fall.
You Will Enjoy The Immense Beauty of the Coral Red Dogwood
Coral red dogwood trees have sturdy but relatively small trunks and slender but sturdy, upright branches and stem.
The blossoms are creamy white. They appear as significant, singular flowers but are massive clusters of tiny flowers. Each individual bloom consists of four flat petals and a green or yellow middle.
Order Your Coral Red Dogwood Tree From TN Nursery
Coral red dogwood tree is perfect for year-round color; even when the leaves drop in the fall, the colorful stems create a warm wash of color. Order yours from TN Nursery today.
When I opened the box, I found the coral red dogwood to be in excellent condition. I planted it in a well prepared site, watered well and am waiting for growth. Exciting.
Broke dormancy almost immediately! Huge specimen. I'm satisfied
The plants arrived in healthy condition but only one is sprouting leaves. However, weather has been bad for at least two weeks. Will evaluate in late May.
The plant was delivered with excellent packaging, ensuring its safe arrival. The labeling was clear and legible, making it easy to identify the plant. Upon inspection, the plant was found to be in perfect condition. It has been planted with care, and I am excited to watch it grow and take root. Overall, I am very pleased with the quality of the plant and the seamless delivery process.
The seedlings/saplings received have had good root systems and appear healthy. Scratch tests on a couple of stems indicated live tissue. Buds are starting to swell and spring growth is anticipated.