Ship10-12 business days July
Under 2 Feet
Sun Or Shade
Pteridiumaquilinum, commonly known as Bracken Fern, is a Sun Thriving Native Fern
Elevate the beauty of your garden with the enchanting Bracken Fern Plant. With its lush foliage and graceful fronds, this botanical treasure is sure to captivate the attention of both seasoned gardeners and nature enthusiasts. Whether designing a vibrant garden bed or seeking a statement plant for your patio, the Bracken Fern Plant is an exceptional choice to infuse your outdoor space with natural charm and elegance.
Scientifically known as Pteridium aquilinum, the Bracken Fern Plant boasts an array of features that make it a remarkable addition to any landscape. Its arching fronds unfurl mesmerizingly, showcasing an intricate pattern of delicate leaflets. This foliage arrangement creates a visually striking effect, adding depth and texture to your garden design.
One of the distinctive qualities of the Bracken Fern Plant is its adaptability to various growing conditions.
This resilient plant thrives in both full sun and partial shade, making it suitable for different outdoor environments. Whether you have a sunny garden bed, a shady corner, or a woodland area, the Bracken Fern Plant can flourish and enhance the natural beauty of any space.
This plant requires moist, well-draining soil to thrive, and regular watering is crucial to maintain its vibrant green foliage.
With its sprawling growth habit, the Bracken Fern Plant can reach an impressive height of up to three feet, creating a dramatic and eye-catching presence in your garden.
Beyond its aesthetic appeal, the Bracken Fern Plant offers additional benefits to your garden ecosystem.
Its dense foliage provides shade and shelter for other plants and wildlife, creating a balanced and harmonious environment. Furthermore, this fern's presence helps to retain soil moisture, prevents erosion, and contributes to the overall health of your garden bed.
The Bracken Fern Plant also serves as a source of inspiration for landscape designers and garden enthusiasts. Its versatile nature allows it to incorporate various garden styles and themes. Whether cultivating a cottage garden, a tropical oasis, or a woodland retreat, the Bracken Fern Plant seamlessly complements and enhances your chosen design aesthetic.
The Bracken Fern Plant is an exquisite addition to any outdoor landscape. With its beautiful fronds, adaptability to different growing conditions, and eco-friendly contributions, this fern brings beauty and functionality to your garden.
The Bracken Fern plant (Pteridium aquilinum) is a versatile and stunning addition to any indoor or outdoor space. Here are ten key benefits of the Bracken Fern plant:
1. Air Purification: The Bracken Fern plant is an excellent natural air purifier like many other ferns. Its lush foliage helps to filter and cleanse the air by absorbing harmful pollutants and toxins such as formaldehyde, benzene, and xylene, thereby improving the air quality in your environment.
2. Health and Well-being: Having Bracken Fern plants in your living or working space can contribute to your overall health and well-being. Breathing cleaner air can improve respiratory health and a sense of calm and relaxation.
3. Aesthetically Pleasing: With its delicate fronds and vibrant green foliage, the Bracken Fern plant is a visual delight.
4. Versatility: The Bracken Fern plant is highly adaptable and can thrive in various environments. It can tolerate bright, indirect, and lower light conditions, making it suitable for different locations within your home or office. Additionally, it can be grown indoors and outdoors, adding versatility to your plant collection.
5. Low Maintenance: The Bracken Fern is ideal for those seeking a low-maintenance plant. This fern can flourish with minimal effort with a well-draining potting mix and reasonable care.
6. Natural Pest Repellent: The Bracken Fern plant possesses natural pest-repellent properties. By planting Bracken Ferns, you can help protect your other plants from pests and reduce the need for chemical pesticides.
7. Soil Erosion Prevention: Bracken Ferns are known for their extensive root systems, crucial in preventing soil erosion. The dense network of roots stabilizes the soil, helping to reduce the impact of heavy rain or wind. If you have areas in your garden prone to erosion, planting Bracken Ferns can help combat this issue.
8. Wildlife Habitat: The dense foliage and shelter provided by the Bracken Fern plant create a suitable habitat for various wildlife species. Birds, insects, and small mammals often seek refuge in the lush fronds, making your garden a more diverse and vibrant ecosystem. Supporting local wildlife is not only beneficial for the environment but also provides opportunities for observation and enjoyment.
9. Decoration and Floral Arrangements: The feathery fronds add texture and volume to bouquets, wreaths, and centerpieces, providing a natural and elegant touch to any occasion.
10. Symbolic Meanings: Ferns have historically been associated with various symbolic meanings. In some cultures, ferns represent tranquility, protection, and resilience. By incorporating Bracken Fern plants into your indoor or outdoor space, you can tap into these symbolic interpretations and create an atmosphere of peace and harmony.
Tips to help you keep your Bracken Fern thriving:
1. Lighting: Place your Bracken Fern in a location that receives bright, indirect light.
2. Watering: Bracken Ferns prefer consistently moist soil but dislike sitting in soggy conditions. Use a well-draining potting mix and ensure the pot has drainage holes to prevent waterlogging.
3. Humidity: Bracken Ferns appreciate moderate humidity levels.
4. Temperature: Bracken Ferns prefer moderate temperatures ranging between 60°F to 75°F (15°C to 24°C). Avoid exposing the plant to extreme temperature fluctuations, drafts, or cold air from air conditioning units or heating vents.
5. Fertilization: When the plant's growth slows, reduce or stop fertilizing in fall and winter. Always follow the package instructions for proper application.
6. Pruning: Regular pruning helps maintain the appearance and health of your Bracken Fern. Remove any yellow or brown fronds which are likely old or damaged. Trim away any dead or dying foliage close to the base of the plant using clean, sharp pruning shears.
7. Pest Control: Bracken Ferns are generally resistant to pests but can occasionally attract spider mites or scale insects. If detected, treat the affected areas with a gentle insecticidal soap or neem oil, following the instructions on the product.
8. Soil and Repotting: Bracken Ferns prefer a well-draining potting mix that retains some moisture. Choose a mixture of peat moss, perlite, and sand to provide the right balance. Report the fern every one to two years or when it becomes root-bound. Choose a slightly larger pot to accommodate the growing roots, ensuring it has drainage holes.
9. Protection from Drafts: Bracken Ferns are sensitive to drafts, which can lead to stress and poor growth. Avoid placing them near windows, doors, or air vents that may cause temperature fluctuations or gusts of air. Maintain a consistent and stable environment for optimal growth.
10. Observation and Care: Regularly observe your Bracken Fern for signs of distress, such as wilting, yellowing, or browning fronds. Adjust your care routine accordingly, ensuring the plant's water, light, and humidity needs are met. Being attentive and responsive to your fern's requirements will help maintain its health and longevity.
Following these tips ensures that your Bracken Fern plant thrives and remains a stunning addition to your indoor or outdoor space. Remember, each plant is unique.
Bracken Fern: Pteridiumaquilinum, most commonly called bracken fern, is a plant that grows on every continent (except Antarctica) and in almost every USDA growing zone in the United States.
Although it can grow almost anywhere, the bracken fern is native to the eastern United States.
The Gentle Appearance of Pteridiumaquilinum, Bracken Fern
The bracken fern is easily identifiable by its large triangular fronds. It can reach waist-high and grows long, plume-like stems. The fronds are triangular and display leaflets that grow in pairs.
Depending on the climate in your zone or area, the fronds generally emerge from March until early May; once they open, they stay green for a long growing season.
While they typically grow to a maximum height of four feet, the tallest bracken fern reached approximately seven feet.
The leaf color varies from a softer, lighter shade of green to a dark green hue, depending on the soil. The stems are slightly darker than the leafy matter, creating a lovely tonal impact.
Bracken Fern Is a Remarkably Robust Plant
The common bracken fern grows on sandy or rocky soil and can survive for years. It is a perennial that reemerges yearly with astonishing consistency--even after forest fires, floods, or other disasters.
As the fern grows, it forms a dense, deep root network, which helps it reproduce throughout the season. The deep roots make it resistant to high winds or heavy downpours.
Also, the deeply rooted bracken fern helps to eliminate soil compaction, as the roots dig deep below the surface, not just in short side-to-side clumps like some other fern species.
How to Use Bracken Fern in Your Landscape
Bracken fern is a highly prized plant for the most rugged terrain.
● You can replace the grass on a sloped or steep hill--it will eventually fill in and eliminate the need for mowing.
● Put bracken fern in areas where you'd like to prevent wind erosion of your soil. It spreads faster than some ferns and provides plant coverage within a season.
● Put bracken ferns in your shade garden or water garden.
● Grow bracken ferns in densely wooded areas to add some greenery.
Bracken fern will grow in almost any shaded or partially shaded location you can think of.
Bracken Fern is available online at TN Nursery
Are you ready to order your Pteridiumaquilinum? We are here to dig and ship your order.
Bracken Fern is for sale online at TN Nursery
Surprised by the simplicity of the structure. Appreciate the couple of extra
The ferns are beautiful, packaged excellently, and they are very healthy.
Love this nursery for ferns, I'm al
Received fern roots very fast. Now have to wait for them to come up next spreing
Looks great in my gardens! Very pleased with this plant.