Red Osier Dogwood
Red Osier Dogwood
Under 10 Feet
Red Osier Dogwood (Cornus sericea)
Red Osier Dogwood (Cornus sericea) is a striking deciduous shrub that combines beauty, versatility, and practicality. With its vibrant red stems, clusters of white flowers, and abundant berries, the Red Osier Dogwood is a standout choice for any landscape. Here is a captivating product description for this remarkable shrub:
They are introducing the Red Osier Dogwood, a stunning and versatile addition to your garden. This deciduous shrub is known for its vibrant red stems, which provide a burst of color throughout the year.
In the spring, Red osier dogwood shrub showcases clusters of small white flowers that attract pollinators like bees and butterflies
The delicate blossoms create a soft and enchanting display against the backdrop of the red stems. As summer arrives, the flowers give way to small, creamy-white berries, adding another layer of visual interest and attracting birds to your garden.
But the allure of the Red Osier Dogwood doesn't stop at its stunning aesthetics. This versatile shrub also offers numerous practical benefits. One notable advantage is its ability to tolerate wet soils, making it an ideal choice for rain gardens or areas prone to seasonal flooding. It also has a high tolerance for various soil types, including clay and sandy soils, further expanding its suitability for different garden conditions.
Red osier dogwoods mature to the height of 6 to 9 Feet
With a mature height of 6 to 9 feet and a spread of 7 to 12 feet, the Red Osier Dogwood is an excellent choice for creating privacy screens, hedges, or borders. Its dense growth habit and multi stemmed form provide ample coverage and structure, making it an attractive option for adding depth and dimension to your landscape design.
Another benefit of the Red Osier Dogwood is its adaptability to various sunlight conditions. While it thrives in full sun, it also tolerates partial shade, allowing for placement in different areas of your garden. Whether you have a sunny garden border or a shaded corner that needs a pop of color, the Red Osier Dogwood can fit seamlessly into your landscape.
In addition to its versatility and beauty, the Red Osier Dogwood also offers ecological benefits. The berries produced by this shrub are a valuable food source for birds, attracting species like robins, cardinals, and cedar waxwings. This shrub is a natural wildlife magnet, providing food and shelter while contributing to your garden's biodiversity.
Maintaining the Red Osier Dogwood is relatively easy. Regular watering, particularly during dry spells, is required to ensure optimal growth and health.
With its vibrant red stems, beautiful flowers, and bountiful berries, it combines aesthetic appeal with practicality and ecological benefits. Transform your landscape with the captivating beauty of the Red Osier Dogwood.
The Red Osier Dogwood (Cornus sericea) is a versatile and beautiful shrub that offers numerous benefits to any landscape. From its striking red stems to its ecological value, this plant brings both aesthetic appeal and practical advantages. Here are ten benefits of incorporating Red Osier Dogwood into your garden:
1. Vibrant Winter Interest: One of the standout features of the Red Osier Dogwood is its bright red stems. During the winters, when many other plants are dormant, the striking color of the branches adds a vibrant touch to the landscape, creating visual interest and making it a standout feature.
2. Seasonal Beauty: Besides the red stems, the Red Osier Dogwood produces clusters of white flowers in the spring, providing an elegant and delicate display. These blossoms attract pollinators like bees and butterflies, contributing to your garden's health and biodiversity.
3. Berries for Wildlife: Following the flowers, the Red Osier Dogwood produces small, creamy-white berries that ripen in late summer. These berries are a good food source for birds, attracting species like robins, cedar waxwings, and bluebirds. By planting Red Osier Dogwood, you can support local wildlife and create a thriving ecosystem in your garden.
4. Erosion Control: The Red Osier Dogwood is excellent for erosion control with its dense root system and spreading habit. It helps stabilize soil on slopes, stream banks, or areas prone to erosion. The fibrous roots of the shrub hold the ground together, reducing the risk of runoff and soil loss.
5. Wetland Restoration: Red Osier Dogwood is highly adaptable to wet soils and is often used in wetland restoration projects. It can thrive in areas prone to seasonal flooding or near water bodies. Its ability to tolerate wet conditions makes it an excellent choice for rain gardens and riparian zones.
6. Wildlife Habitat: The Red Osier Dogwood provides valuable habitat for wildlife beyond its berries. The dense growth habit and multi stemmed structure create an ideal shelter for small animals, birds, and insects. The shrub offers protection from predators and harsh weather conditions, enhancing your garden's biodiversity and ecological balance.
7. Soil Improvement: As a member of the Dogwood family, Red Osier Dogwood positively impacts the soil. Its fallen leaves decompose and contribute organic matter to the ground, improving its structure and fertility. The shrub also helps prevent soil erosion, conserves moisture, and enhances the soil's ability to retain nutrients.
8. Versatile Landscape Use: Red Osier Dogwood can be utilized in various ways within your landscape design. The shrub's dense growth habit makes it suitable for hedges, screens, or borders, providing privacy and adding structure to your garden.
9. Low Maintenance: Red Osier Dogwood is relatively low maintenance once established. It is a tough plant that can flourish in different soil types and is immune to many prevalent disorders and pests. With proper care, including regular watering and occasional pruning, the shrub will thrive and continue to enhance your landscape for years to come.
10. Aesthetic Appeal: Beyond its practical benefits, the Red Osier Dogwood adds beauty to any garden. Its red stems, white flowers, and attractive foliage create a visually pleasing display throughout the year.
Incorporating Red Osier Dogwood into your garden provides numerous benefits, from its visual appeal to its ecological value. This versatile shrub offers seasonal interest, attracts wildlife, aids erosion control, and enhances your outdoor space's overall health and beauty. With its many advantages, the Red Osier Dogwood is a must-have addition to any landscape.
Taking care of Red Osier Dogwood (Cornus sericea) is relatively straightforward, and with proper attention, you can ensure its health and vitality.
1. Planting Location: Choose a location that provides full sun to partial shade. Red Osier Dogwood can tolerate various soil conditions but prefers moist, well-drained soil. Avoid planting in excessively dry or soggy areas.
2. Watering: During the establishment period, it's essential to provide regular watering to keep the soil evenly moist. Once the shrub is established, it becomes more drought-tolerant, but it still benefits from supplemental watering during extended dry periods, especially in hot summer.
3. Mulching: Apply a layer of organic mulch around the base of the plant, extending it a few inches from the stems. This mulching helps conserve moisture, suppress weed growth, and insulate the roots during temperature fluctuations. Avoid piling mulch directly against the branches, creating moisture retention and potential rot issues.
4. Pruning: Prune Red Osier Dogwood in late winter or spring when the plant is dormant. Remove dead, damaged, or diseased branches, returning them to healthy wood. You can selectively prune to shape the shrub or encourage a more vibrant stem color. Always use sharp pruning tools to make clean cuts and minimize damage.
5. Fertilization: Red Osier Dogwood typically doesn't require heavy fertilization. However, as new growth emerges, you can apply a slow-release balanced fertilizer in early spring. Follow the manufacturer's instructions for application rates.
6. Winter Protection: While Red Osier Dogwood is cold-hardy, some winter protection can help prevent damage. Before winter, consider wrapping the shrub with burlap or using a protective cover to shield it from harsh winds and heavy snow. It can help prevent stem breakage and maintain the shrub's form.
7. Pest and Disease Control: Red Osier Dogwood is relatively resistant to pests and diseases. However, occasional issues like powdery mildew or leaf spot conditions may arise. Monitor the plant regularly and take prompt action if you notice any signs of disease. Prune affected branches and apply appropriate fungicides if necessary.
8. Wildlife Management: Red Osier Dogwood attracts various wildlife, including birds. If you want to protect the berries for ornamental purposes or manage the amount of fruiting, consider using bird netting or other physical barriers during the ripening period. It can help maintain the aesthetic appeal of the shrub while still benefiting wildlife.
9. Renewal Pruning: Consider implementing renewal pruning every few years to rejuvenate the Red Osier Dogwood and encourage vibrant stem color. This pruning involves removing approximately one-third of the oldest stems at ground level during the dormant season. This process stimulates new growth and ensures a continuous display of colorful stems.
10. Regular Inspections: Inspect your Red Osier Dogwood for signs of stress, pests, or diseases. Look for wilting, discoloration, or unusual growth patterns. Early detection allows for prompt intervention and treatment, increasing the chances of a successful recovery.
Following these maintenance instructions, you are helping your Red Osier Dogwood grow and keep its distinctive beauty through all seasons. With proper attention and regular maintenance, this beautiful shrub will continue to enhance your landscape for years to come.
Red Osier Dogwood Trees: TN Nursery customers adore Cornus sericea, our red osier dogwood trees. The North American native species is a deciduous ornamental tree that puts on a fantastic display of white flowers in the late spring or early summer.
Most gardeners adore red osier dogwood trees for more than just their magnificent white flowers--they love the year-round color. Their unique coral-to-red stems create an exciting color contrast that makes the blossoms even showier. The stems are bronze-red during spring and summer and turn to intense coral for wintertime color after the season ends.
Besides the colorful presentation, gardeners love the fuss-free nature of this forest native. It is pest-resistant, cold-hardy, and drought-hardy. It will look after itself as it matures with almost no extra care. They flourish in the cool to moderately warm USDA growing zones.
Red Osier Dogwood Trees Are Super Easy to Grow
Once your red osier dogwood trees strengthen, they will give you a stunning display of large white flowers in the latest weeks of the springtime and a lush green canopy during the summer. In the autumn, the leaves turn orange, bronze, or russet.
Red osier dogwood trees require full sunshine. The leaves will make an early entrance each season. Thus, they need the warm sun of the early springtime to awaken them for the growing season.
Before you plant your red osier dogwood trees, locate a place with well-draining soil, as they do not like wet roots. De-compact the ground and scoop in a generous helping of organic compost, wood mulch, or shredded leaf litter. The forest native species loves the organic wood contents.
Once the red osier dogwood matures, you will only perform routine care--fertilizer twice yearly (spring and fall), pruning if needed, and an inch layer of a protective layer of mulch in the late fall.
The summertime beauty of Red Osier Dogwood trees is impressive.
The red osier dogwood tree has a sturdy but relatively small in diameter trunk and multiple upright but graceful branches.
The creamy white blossoms are large clusters of small (under a half-inch) flowers, each with four flat petals and green or yellow centers. When they form the groupings, they present as a large, fluffy single flower from a distance. Only when you observe up close, do you see the many small blooms.
Order Your Red Osier Dogwood Tree From TN Nursery
TN Nursery digs each tree fresh and ships it to the customer immediately to ensure premium plant health. Order your red osier dogwood tree today.
At first I was worried but soon as I got these dogwoods back in the dirt they blew up with green foliage. Beautiful shrubs. Hope my deer like them much as I do😁
Arrived quickly, well packaged and healthy. Just got the pair in the ground . I've been impressed with everything I've ordered from TN Nursery
This pinkish shrub thrives well in my pathway. So loving it so much.
looks dead but am sure it will perk up
Items arrived quickly. Exactly as described.