Some Plants Have Poisonious Petals

21st Nov 2012

Poisonous Petals


Plants yield a variety of beautiful foliage, but you must always be careful since many petals are poisonous in nature. Plants produce poisonous petals and fruits as a way of fending off predators. Many of these poisonous petals are not that harmful to humans, but they can be to plants and children. If you are growing any indoor plant, then you may want to place plants out of reach from children and pets.

If your pet has eaten poisonous petals, there are warning signs. Excessive panting and lethargy are all signs of poisoning. If a pet has been poisoned, then it is imperative that they be taken to a veterinarian as soon as possible. Children should be taken to an emergency room if they have eaten any poisons petals as well.

Always do research to see if your plants produce any poisonous foliage. There are some petals that also produce bacteria and could need cleaning. Willow trees are one tree that requires some cleaning since they not only produce poisonous petals, but bacteria as well. Calcium Bicarbonate is one such chemical that will keep the petals free of bad bacteria.

Since weeping willow trees shed lots of petals, it is important to keep an eye for animals or children that may eat them. If you are growing plants indoors, then be sure to clean up any shed leaves or foliage that falls to the floor. This will prevent animals or children from placing it in their mouths. If you have a puppy, then this is especially important since they are known to chew on just about anything.

Place poisonous plants outdoors or high up where pets and children cannot reach them. This will not only benefit them, but your plant as well. Though poisonous plants are not harmful to adult humans, there are plants that can cause complications or can be fatal if digested. Many berries are poisonous in nature and should not be eaten unless certain that the fruit is edible. If hiking in any area, always be aware of your surroundings and know which plants which are safe to be around. If ingested, poisonous plants can use stomach complications and could shut down the respiratory system.

Flowers are beautiful in nature, but behind that beauty are poisonous agents that could be harmful to your children and pets. If a plant is indeed poisonous, it does not mean that you have to get rid of the plant, but be careful in making sure that pets and children cannot reach them.