When gardening or living in wooded areas, it is important to be familiar with poisonous plants that may be around your area.
Be sure to research what type of plants that are poisonous in your area. When gardening or hiking you may come across common plants that look or are thought to be harmless, but if consumed in any way could cause illness and sometimes death.
Plants use poisons as a natural way of defending themselves against predators. Poisonous plants could be right under your nose.
Those who have horses or any farmland should watch what type of plants that livestock may consume. Since horses and cattle consume plants all around them, drinking large doses of poisonous leaves or flowers can cause fatalities and could kill off entire livestock. It would not only be a travesty in the loss of animal life, but it will also be a loss financially. In 1907, over 700 livestock fell dead overnight by consuming poisonous plants in Australia.
The leaves of apricots and avocados are poisonous, and in the case of apricots if any of the leaves and twigs are consumed it could prove fatal to any sized human. Azalea flowers and nectar can also be deadly for both humans and animals if consumed. If growing any tree or plant then research to see if any of the leaves for stems are poisonous. If it proves to be toxic, then it is nothing to be panicked about since large amounts of poisonous plants would have to be consumed to leave any toxicity in the bloodstream. However, it is essential to know about any poisonous plants in your area if you have pets or children who like to eat things off the ground.
It is also important to know which type of plants is poisonous to avoid domestic animals and children consuming them. Never leave mistletoe where children or domestic animals can get them. Mistletoe is a signature holiday plant, but the berries can cause sickness if consumed. If a human consumes them, then illness will follow in the form of stomach pain, slower pulse, and bowel problems. An adult would have to consume a significant amount of these berries to feel sick, but children and pets should avoid eating a single berry at all costs. If any poisonous plant has been consumed by a pet or child, then escort them quickly to a veterinarian or emergency room.
Source of Information on Poisonous Plants to Avoid