Avoiding Poisonous Plants

Avoiding Poisonous Plants

Posted by Tammy Sons on Sep 24 , 2012

When gardening or living in wooded areas, it is essential to be familiar with poisonous plants around your area.

Be sure to research what type of plants are poisonous in your area. When gardening or hiking, you may come across common plants that look or are thought to be harmless, but if consumed in any way, could cause illness and sometimes death.

Plants use poisons as a natural way of defending themselves against predators. Poisonous plants could be right under your nose.

Those who have horses or any farmland should watch what type of plants that livestock may consume. Since horses and cattle consume plants all around them, drinking large doses of poisonous leaves or flowers can cause fatalities and could kill off entire livestock. It would not only be a travesty in the loss of animal life, but it will also be a loss financially. In 1907, over 700 livestock fell dead overnight by consuming poisonous plants in Australia.

The leaves of apricots and avocados are poisonous, and in the case of apricots, if any of the leaves and twigs are consumed, it could prove fatal to any sized human. Azalea flowers and nectar can also be deadly for both humans and animals if consumed. If growing any tree or plant, research to see if any leaves for stems are poisonous. If it proves to be toxic, then it is nothing to be panicked about since large amounts of poisonous plants would have to be consumed to leave any toxicity in the bloodstream. However, it is essential to know about any poisonous plants in your area if you have pets or children who like to eat things off the ground.

It is also essential to know which type of plants is poisonous to avoid domestic animals and children consuming them. Never leave mistletoe where children or domestic animals can get them. Mistletoe is a signature holiday plant, but the berries can cause sickness if consumed. If a human consumes them, the illness will follow in stomach pain, slower pulse, and bowel problems. An adult would have to consume a significant amount of these berries to feel sick, but children and pets should avoid eating a single berry at all costs. If a pet or child has consumed any poisonous plant, then escort them quickly to a veterinarian or emergency room.

Source of Information on Poisonous Plants to Avoid

https://www.tnnursery.net